352
Sometimes I get called right as I'm about to sleep, yesterday was one of those days
I had slept as soon as I got off of the 573, and been awake all day into the night, well about 0200 I fall asleep only to be awaken at 0300 by my cell...... Unless another auto dealer decided to pester me there could be only one person that could be.
The Wheeling crew caller, sure enough the number comes up as the usual Brewster 767 number. I'm called for the 352, a coal train from Brewster to Nelms 1 flood loaded and back. I have never been east of Brewster on the Brewster Sub, and have NEVER been on the Rook or Valley subs, much less to the Nelms 1 loadout, so I ask for a pilot. I'm told that one of our RFEs will be there, and my engineer will help me the rest of the day.
I arrive at about 0520, my hogger and I have a job briefing (hes just about as unqualified as me) and we start on our way. Power is in the form of GP35's 2662 and 108. In Canac L/T mode, basically a simple form of DPU.
The trip goes reasonably smoothly, until we hit the OHCR in Bowerstown. We cant seem to tone up the OHCR dispatcher to get Blocks (unlike the Wheeling who gives trackwarrents, OHCR gives exclusive occupancy DTC blocks like CSX). About 20 mins later I figure out how to tone up a base and we get our blocks.
Finally we arrive in Nelms 1. Problems is no RFE, thankfully the loader operators help me out and tell me how to spot my train and set everything up.
Watching a flood loader is a interesting operation, coordinating movements though a flood loader on a 4% grade is insane. I apply several handbrakes to help the engineer keep control of everything, (I'm not aloud to use retainer valves for some reason) In order to have a nice even loading, a speed of about 2-3 MPH must be maintained.
Three hours later loading is complete. I call the chief dispatcher to tell him I only have a few hours left (for some reason I told him I outlawed at 3 and not 4.... not sure why, but it wouldn't mater in the end, must have been tired), While getting our paperwork to leave nelms my dispatcher and I had a discussion (somewhat heated on both ends) about when I outlaw and things are sorted out to some extent, the game plan is to reach New Cumberland "Newcum" on the other side of the OHCR to be recrewed, Unfortunately the OHCR has other plans. By the time we reach the OHCR my hogger and I only have a hour remaining, about the time it would take us to traverse the 10 miles of OHCR trackage rights with all the slow orders they have. The OHCR dispatcher is worried about us blocking one of his trains, so he doesn't let us on. We get recrewed at Jewett and taxied back to Brewster. Made pretty healthy overtime and deadhead today, now if only I could get a few more starts a week.
I'm going to start putting in a full effort to get into the Loco Shop unless things pick up or get better.
I had slept as soon as I got off of the 573, and been awake all day into the night, well about 0200 I fall asleep only to be awaken at 0300 by my cell...... Unless another auto dealer decided to pester me there could be only one person that could be.
The Wheeling crew caller, sure enough the number comes up as the usual Brewster 767 number. I'm called for the 352, a coal train from Brewster to Nelms 1 flood loaded and back. I have never been east of Brewster on the Brewster Sub, and have NEVER been on the Rook or Valley subs, much less to the Nelms 1 loadout, so I ask for a pilot. I'm told that one of our RFEs will be there, and my engineer will help me the rest of the day.
I arrive at about 0520, my hogger and I have a job briefing (hes just about as unqualified as me) and we start on our way. Power is in the form of GP35's 2662 and 108. In Canac L/T mode, basically a simple form of DPU.
The trip goes reasonably smoothly, until we hit the OHCR in Bowerstown. We cant seem to tone up the OHCR dispatcher to get Blocks (unlike the Wheeling who gives trackwarrents, OHCR gives exclusive occupancy DTC blocks like CSX). About 20 mins later I figure out how to tone up a base and we get our blocks.
Finally we arrive in Nelms 1. Problems is no RFE, thankfully the loader operators help me out and tell me how to spot my train and set everything up.
Watching a flood loader is a interesting operation, coordinating movements though a flood loader on a 4% grade is insane. I apply several handbrakes to help the engineer keep control of everything, (I'm not aloud to use retainer valves for some reason) In order to have a nice even loading, a speed of about 2-3 MPH must be maintained.
Three hours later loading is complete. I call the chief dispatcher to tell him I only have a few hours left (for some reason I told him I outlawed at 3 and not 4.... not sure why, but it wouldn't mater in the end, must have been tired), While getting our paperwork to leave nelms my dispatcher and I had a discussion (somewhat heated on both ends) about when I outlaw and things are sorted out to some extent, the game plan is to reach New Cumberland "Newcum" on the other side of the OHCR to be recrewed, Unfortunately the OHCR has other plans. By the time we reach the OHCR my hogger and I only have a hour remaining, about the time it would take us to traverse the 10 miles of OHCR trackage rights with all the slow orders they have. The OHCR dispatcher is worried about us blocking one of his trains, so he doesn't let us on. We get recrewed at Jewett and taxied back to Brewster. Made pretty healthy overtime and deadhead today, now if only I could get a few more starts a week.
I'm going to start putting in a full effort to get into the Loco Shop unless things pick up or get better.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home